10 March 2015

..::Product Review::.. Discover with Dr. Cool's Hands-On Insect Excavation Kit

My Review of the Hands-On Insect Excavation Kit

What is it exactly?

     From the website. . .
"Excavate 3 genuine bug specimens just like a real paleontologist. They’re each buried inside a beetle-shaped digging block! Your young entomologist will uncover a real scorpion, spiny spider, and fortune beetle specimen. These insects have been perfectly preserved inside acrylic so that you can examine each of these incredible creatures from all sides. This hands-on science kit includes an excavation tool, brush, and magnifying glass. There’s also a full-color information guide (written by teachers) so that you can learn all about insects, arthropods, and arachnids. You’ll learn cool science facts about each of the creatures in this kit as well as general info about bugs. Plus there’s an activity booklet with 10 fun games, mazes, and puzzles to complete. Your kids will bug-out with this fascinating excavation project!"

Review…

I was sent the 'Real Bug Dig Kit' from Discover with Dr. Cool to review.  

The price for this set is $11.99.  Shipping is free with orders $35+.

Packaging & Presentation of the Hands-On Insect Excavation Kit

This kit arrived to my door incredibly quickly, and everything was intact!  The box is really cool-- it is hunter green with all different colors on it.  It's definitely something that I'd take a look at if I saw it on the shelf at the store.  The box measures 9.25" x 6.0" x 2.0".

The front of the box labels the product and brand.  It features the 'Seal of Excellence Dr. Toys Alumni'.  There is a large scorpion pictured, too!  The warning label is clearly visible.  The back of the box outlines the contents of the kit.  Dr. Cool's mission statement is printed in a bold, green box.


Both sides of the box are the same.  They label the product and brand, and specify this kit is for ages 6+.  The bottom of the box is where you will find the company's contact information.  The contents are non-toxic, but children ages 0-3 should not be around the kit.



The front of the box opens up like a book, and the left side pictures the specimens that your child will dig out of the beetle.  The instructions are located on the bottom half.  The right side is where you can actually see through the window to the kit, but the box opens from the top.


There is a flip-top lock tab on top, but when you open it, you can slide out the plastic.  The books are located on the bottom, and the beetle and tools on top.  There is the actual beetle (which hosts the specimens), a brush, digging tool, and a magnifying class.


There are (3) books that are included.  The first is the Activity Booklet.  This book is filled with a ton of activities related to the kit for your little one.


Next, the Adventure Guide.  This guide is very detailed, and includes a lot of information and fun facts about the included specimens and more!


Lastly, the Activity Catalog.  This book is more for the parents-- it provides a bunch of other kits that your child may like.


My Personal Experience with the Hands-On Insect Excavation Kit

I know many of you my find this weird, but I really enjoy studying bugs.  I like everything about them, but I don't like to touch them.  I really like to share this hobby with my 6-year old.  I was really happy to find how excited he was when he saw that I got this kit in the mail.  He asked me every single day if we were going to do the 'bug activity'.

First things first-- the instructions.  These were located on the inside left panel of the box.




We unpacked all of the tools, and unwrapped the digging block (shaped as a large green beetle!).


Using the tools, Charlie started chipping away!


After a while, we found the first bug!  It was a real scorpion!  It was encased in acrylic, so we can check it out after washing it off.


Finding the first bug piqued my husband's interest, so he began digging away!  He found the next bug!  This time it was the Fortune Beetle.


It was so fun checking out all of the specimens-- the scorpion, the Spiny Spider, and the Fortune Beetle!



Pros of the Hands-On Insect Excavation Kit
  • Great learning tool.
  • Quality kit.
  • The activity lasts a long time.
  • The bugs are encased in acrylic, so they will last forever.
    Cons of the Hands-On Insect Excavation Kit
    • I have found no cons of this kit.
    Summary

    This kit was so cool!  I had a blast doing this with my son, as did my husband!  I wasn't sure how long it would take, or if the bugs were disposable.  I am so glad that the bugs were put in acrylic, so my son can keep them for a long time to come.  I would definitely buy more kits from this company.  They are definitely worth the price, and they make great gifts!




    For further information, please visit Discover with Dr. Cool on:


    DISCLAIMER:  I received the product mentioned above complimentary for review and testing purposes. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  All opinions stated above are solely mine, and have not been influenced in any way.  I am disclosing this information in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

    No comments: